[Assam] A letter to the Editor

kamal deka kjit.deka at gmail.com
Sun Jul 1 14:37:33 PDT 2007

Dear Rajen kokaidew,

It gives me immense pleasure to go through your thoughtful
comment.Thanksfor the
rejoinder.You have raised two important questions:1) correct Assamese
spelling of this pepper which should matter the least and 2) how " a
daughter plant can produce stronger capsicum than the mother plant" ,if
chili peppers are not native to India.

As to the name,I was dumb-founded by the statement made by some members of
our community here in the US,in which they took offense at the failure of
the reporters of not doing proper home work before using the name of
the particular pepper in question as bhut jolokia rather than its supposedly
correct moniker " bhot jolokia." I have a few things to say .First,should we
not set our own house in order  before accusing anyone else ? One Leena
Saikia,managing director of Frontal Agritech of Assam, which produces this
jolokia in abundance for commercial purposes, refers them as bhut
jolokia.She said that the bhut jolokia is sometime spelt as bhwt or bhot
jolokia.Secondly,in spite of my pointing out the fact that the word 'bhut',
perhaps, is used metaphorically---an expression that uses language in a
non-literal way,they tried to conduct a basic course to teach me Assamese
grammer as if I am an African!!!!.Thirdly,if the names like bih
jolokia,borbih jolokia and Naga jolokia are not considered belittling,in
what sense then is the term ' bhut jolokia' derogatory ?

Returning to your second question,it could be very possible that optimized
nutrition and environmental conditions could yield higher Scoville heat
units.Pods,for example, from the same seed stock may deliver less capsaicin
in rainy climatic condition.Moreover,a mix of genetically different species
may give rise to a brand new variety of chilli pepper.You are right,we will
have to dig a bit more to find out whether or not the chilli pepper is
indigenous to India .

Kamal