[Assam] A Letter to the Editor

Chan Mahanta cmahanta at charter.net
Wed Jul 11 19:59:45 PDT 2007

I happened to run into this on the Sentinel web site, and I agree
with it wholeheartedly:

Needed: Native Words
I have gone through the Assamese dictionaries from the times of
Hemchandra Baruwa, and the Anglo-Assamese dictionaries written by the
likes of Budhin Chandra Bhattacharyya. But I feel that several native
words have been left out and in their place Sanskrit words abound.
Let it be said here that the tribal languages have contributed
substantially to the formation of the Assamese language. As such,
colloquial words like tengor and botaah should be given the first
place in lieu of words like dhurtta and vaayu. This is just one
example.
The Father of the Turkish nation, Kamal Attaturk, made use of
colloquial Turkish words in place of Arabic words to retain the
distinct flavour and lucidity of the Turkish language. I urge the
scholars concerned with lexicography to compose dictionaries which
have a profusion of indigenous words in the Assamese language.
Satyen Brahma,
Lokhora, Guwahati.