[Assam] Day2: Assam2007: Pt 1-- Zubeen mania; heroine

Alpana B. Sarangapani absarangapani at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 2 08:57:31 PDT 2007

Thanks for the update, Umesh-ji. I feel like I was present there.

On another unrelated note...

Correct me if I am wrong....I believe one can address anyone with a "Ji" after his/her name. I mean an older person may address a younger person with a 'ji', like I do. It is just a formal/respectable way to address one, regardless of any age differences, isn't it?

But, in Assamese (and in Bengali and in some north Indian states too, I am sure), "Da" specifically means addressing a person who is older. In other words, "Da" is equivalent to 'Bore` Bhaiya'. And "Baideu" is equivalent to "Didi" in Hindi, Bengali.

"Bhaity" is equivalent to younger brother, and "Bhanti" is to younger sister. But nowadays "Bhaity" and "Bhanti" have become proper nouns. But as you might know, you don't necessarily have to call, say, Gautam Bhaity to a person who is younger than you, calling him 'Gautam' is good enough, but you are "allowed" to talk to him as "tumi" instead of "apuni" (like, 'tum' and "aap" in Hindi).

Talk about the "rules and the regulations" of the society that we automatically learn and get accustomed to. Ain't it strange?

:)

“In order to make spiritual progress you must be patient like a tree and humble like a blade of grass”
- Lakshmana

Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2007 23:57:40 -0700From: jaipurschool at yahoo.comTo: assam at assamnet.orgSubject: [Assam] Day2: Assam2007: Pt 1-- Zubeen mania; heroineHi,Just reached home thanks to Partha-da Gogoi who lives closeby. it is 2:34 am.After midnight it was all the magic of Zubeen Garg (Borthakur) and his string of Assamese and Hindi (Ya Ali songs) - for two hours. I got to talk to him for a couple of minutes -- seems he needs a Godfather in Bollywood still - networking works wonders. But today it was his voice and tempo which was wonderful.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xf3ZhpNzElM&mode=related&search=Also it was wonderful too the excitement and talent of Assamese in dancing - Sattriya dance by Jugal-da Kalita's wife, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJ15-lRx_dA - from the netthe national themed song with Indian flags in Rajasthani outfits by Brahma sisters - who later excelled in dancing frestyle alongwith all the guests . The elder one college going seemed talented enough to join Hollywood or Bollywood film industry - as I discussed with another well wisher of theirs.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ao-iQimHHg  the elder sisterhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahEKz3-M9Fo both sistershttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKg1PeNEy-A By Satyen-da of DCThe Rick and Nick brothers, the ethnic fashion show and various Bihu dances were well choreographed. Compared to North India women were not hesistant to join in the singing , dancing and other cultural activities which was good.Umesh Umesh SharmaWashington D.C. 1-202-215-4328 [Cell]Ed.M. - International Education PolicyHarvard Graduate School of Education,Harvard University,Class of 2005http://www.uknow.gse.harvard.edu/index.html (Edu info)http://hbswk.hbs.edu/ (Management Info)www.gse.harvard.edu/iep (where the above 2 are used )http://jaipurschool.bihu.in/