[Assam] From Tehelka---Manu's Memorial

Chan Mahanta cmahanta at charter.net
Thu Jul 5 12:01:22 PDT 2007

**** Is it a simple, harmless symbol of  cultural heritage? Or is
there a whole lot more to it?

cm

THE WORSHIP OF FALSE GODS

http://www.tehelka.com/story_main31.asp?filename=Cr070707shadow_lines.asp

When a new building was constructed in Jaipur for the state High
Court, the local Bar Association put forward a proposal for the
installation of a statue of Manu to beautify the premises. From
proposal to completion, the entire plan was kept a close secret,
never made public until the statue was in place. Manu was the creator
of the varna system under which Hindu society for centuries denied
all basic human rights and dignity to Dalits. For us, a statue of
Manu can only symbolise the unjust social structure imposed on us
from time immemorial. All the oppression we continue to suffer is
because of Manu and his treatise, the Manudharma Sastra.

We turn to the courts when we are in trouble. Can we ever expect
justice from a court which we enter looking at Manu's idol?
The Constitution has attempted to improve the condition of Dalits
through law, but Manu's words have been an unwritten stricture the
law cannot touch. Had Manu's statue been installed anywhere else,
perhaps we would not have cared to react. But to see such homage paid
to a figure who represents all that is unjust in this society, and
that too standing proud in the premises of the Rajasthan High Court,
is shocking. It is beyond acceptance. We turn to the courts when we
are in trouble, which for us is almost perennial. What worse message
could we receive? Can we ever expect justice from a court which we
enter looking at Manu's idol? It only tells us that even the High
Court subscribes to Manu's ideology. On the other hand, the statue of
Dr BR Ambedkar, the father of our Constitution, has been shunted to
an invisible corner. It says a lot about the mentality of the
judiciary and the government in Rajasthan. How is such a system to
contribute to the constitutional ideal of a casteless society?

The statue was installed on June 28, 1989, and we have been fighting
it ever since. There were huge protests all over the state soon after
it was put up, and a full bench of the High Court ordered that it be
removed within 48 hours. We were all happy, but soon after that the
Vishwa Hindu Parishad's Acharya Dharmendra filed a writ petition in
the court of Justice Mahender Bhushan, who passed a stay order on
July 27, 1989 - as a result the statue is there till date. There are
many cases dating back to 1989 that have seen their final hearings,
but not this one. Each time this case comes to a final hearing, the
bench postpones it on the grounds that it is a very sensitive issue.
But we will not give up easily - we haven't so far, and we will not
in the future. We will continue to file applications asking for a
final hearing in this case. We want to see how they will justify
their deliberate delays.

We install statues of Ambedkar because that's our way of reclaiming
our lost dignity. But why is the government installing a statue of
Manu? The very government which is supposed to have no biases towards
any religion or caste. Let there be Manu statues wherever anyone
pleases, but the government should not be a party to it.

Mimroth is a Jaipur-based advocate
As told to Praveen Donthi