[Assam] Boon for Bio-fuels:Assam

W.Saleh w.saleh at indiawijzer.nl
Tue Jul 10 12:18:13 PDT 2007

Dear Dr. Das,

It might be a coincidence that a research paper submitted on 30th January
2001 discusses the same subject.

Germination, Growth and Biomass Accumulation as Influenced by

Seed Size in Mesua ferrea L.

A. ARUNACHALAM*, M.L. KHAN, N. D. SINGH

Restoration Ecology Laboratory, Department of Forestry, North-Eastern
Regional Institute of Science and Technology,

Nirjuli-791109, Arunachal Pradesh, India

(email: aa at agni.nerist.ac.in)

Accepted: 07.02.2003

If of interest you can check the publication for information on Nahor
Vegetation analysis and tree population structure of tropical wet evergreen
forests in and around Namdapha National Park, northeast India

Authors: Nath, P.C.1; Arunachalam, A.2; Khan, M.L.1; Arunachalam, K.1;
Barbhuiya, A.R.1

Source: Biodiversity and Conservation, Volume 14, Number 9, August 2005 ,
pp. 2109-2135(27)

Publisher: Springer

The World Agro Forestry Centre might nthrough some light on the cultivation
of Nahor tree.
http://www.worldagroforestrycentre.org/

In the article "BIO-VISION OF CHHATTISGARH" from CHHATTISGARH BIOFUEL
DEVELOPMENT AUTHORITY they have identified Nahor as a viable alternative for
bio diesel production.

Quote:

Non-edible oils can prove viable alternatives to edible oils for bio diesel
production. India has a vast untapped potential of non-edible oil-bearing
plant species. According to a survey conducted in 2002, twelve most
important and abundant non-edible oil-bearing trees produce as much as 97
lakh tones of seeds per year, of which only 12% is utilized. These twelve
species of trees are Neem, Mahua, Undi, Jatropha, Castor, Kusum, Pilu,
Dhupa, Nahor, Kokum and Sal. they (and by-products from their processing)
are increasingly being used in modern industry for cosmetics, varnishes and
paints, lubricants, resins, adhesive, dyes and inks, explosives, cellophane,
pesticides, pharmaceuticals, etc. recently their potential as a bio fuel has
been investigated and hence they can be utilized as a feedstock for bio
diesel production.
unquote:

Regards,

Wahid Saleh

The Dutch portal with India related information
Coming together is a beginning | Keeping together is progress | Working
together is success

  _____