[Assam] mainland vs northeast in delhi

Chan Mahanta cmahanta at charter.net
Sun Jul 15 05:38:36 PDT 2007

At 6:44 AM -0700 7/14/07, SANDIP DUTTA wrote:
>These kind of discussions are not going to help
>one single NE person who may or may not face the
>kind of discrimination we talk about.

*** We are missing the point. Prevention of
tyranny of the majority is not the aim here. That
is the responsibility of the 'great Indian
democracy' . But ours is to point out its
dysfunction and to educate our people about what
NOT to expect from it.

>Assam.org cannot change the way Haryanvis think
>about NE, atleast for the time being.
>  This is a practical situation on the ground. As
>we cannot change the fact that Haryanvis
>dominate the Delhi police and have little or no
>knowledge about NE,
>we have to be a bit more judicious for the time
>being instead of thinking like we were in the
>middle of Kohima.

*** Why should Kohima be foreign to Dilli, if
Dilli claims Kohima to be its integral part?  Is
this not an utterly untenable proposition?

>BTW, Isnt the Ulfa targetting Hindi speakers for
>similar racist reasons - and blowing them with
>bombs?

*** ULFA and its actions  are RESULTs of Indian
policies and attitudes that remain unchangeable
as you point out yourself. They are NOT its
causes.