[Assam] Dhemaji flood affected people need psychosocial care

Buljit Buragohain buluassam at yahoo.co.in
Thu Jul 26 20:20:06 PDT 2007

Dear Gayatri Ba,

   Yes, we have to think about the psychosocial care of the Dhemaji flood affected people.

  Buljit

gayatri gogoi <gayatri_tessie at rediffmail.com> wrote:
     Dear Buljit,
This is once again high time for action. Our people are suffering due to natural disaster . Only rescue and reief not emough while providing entire holistic care for thier betterment.They are going through enormous amount of stress and need help from experts.
So, we must reach out and empathize with our affected people . Already sent an article on psychosocial care in disaster to Assam Tribune.
Hope we will join our voices.
Gayatri

Nandita Hazarika, Project Officer, UNDP Disaster Manager
Dear Nandita Madam

I always like to appreciate your energy and motivation even though met for a short time.

Assam is facing disaster everyday, natural and man made.So, it very appropriate to train  community people to cope up with it.

We were trained TOT  Disaster Psychosocial Care, National Institute of Disaster Management ,New Delhi by order of Secretary Health and Family welfare, Govt of Assam from 18th ---22nd June on Disaster psychosocial care.Dr Pollov Bora ,Registrar of Anaesthesia  (M-9435030948 ) and Dr Gayatri Gogoi, Junior Pathologist(  9435030084) from Assam Medical College, Dibrugarh were only trainees from Assam.iMoreover, we were trained in Emergency health care, by UNDP on 27th and 28th June at Guwahati  with two more faculties from our College.

It is worthwhile to mention that, Dr K Sekar, Professor ,Dept of Psychiarty and Social Work from NIMHANS Banglore is ready to offer operational help along with his highly  disaster experienced team if is asked by our Govt.  Address and tel is 08026995234(O),Fax 08026562121 and mobile09845214397 and email is sekar at nimhans.kar.nic.in. He is likely to associate LGB mental health, but LGB has acute shortage staff, so without outside help, they can,nt offer service. Mrs Sonia deuri 9435080843.is from social service wing and aware of situation

As the water level is almost same for last 16 days, and the situation is getting worse everyday.. So, people are becoming panicky very anxious and frusted and already showing signs of stress. If it continues for longer time , it will harm the mental health of the community.

Gayatri Gogoi