[Assam] Math First: Harvard & UVa study on college science success

Ram Sarangapani assamrs at gmail.com
Sat Jul 28 08:16:50 PDT 2007

C'da

Being a non-engineer, and susori-musori pass kora individual, I may not be
qualified to comment in this high-flying math/engg. debate - but
nevertheless, I will try... you know, "fools rush in where angels...."

One, is it is generally recognized that Indian graduating from Indian
schools are good in math/science. Not because they boast about it, but
because they just are. There are extremely bright people there.
Most of the people who have been a big success in this and other countries
have had their "fundas" from India, and most Assamese from the Engg.
colleges in Assam, and education in cotton or GU or DU.

Second, you charge that because you don't see contributions from these
people in India, then obviously these graduates are Not creative etc.

It is possible that even though these Indians may be creative and
intelligent, but may NOT be willing or are not able to contribute to
societies they came from. Maybe, they came to the USA to make more money
(read better opportunities).
While, I do not think there is anything wrong with that, let us realize
that  there are many many people in India who are just as capabale or better
than immigrants to the US and who have contributed to Indian's growth and
development.

Third, if these people were not creative in India, how is it that these very
same people with the basic fundamentals from India have suddenly become
creative here? Did they suddenly sprout wings?

Lastly, (and I may the loner here) - Math & science are great, but let us
not put down other branches. There are many world leaders
(Kennedy/Gandhi/Nehru etc) who have come from non-science, non-tech
backgrounds, but have been instrumental in development and broad visions for
their countrues.

If it wasn't for Nehru, many today would NOT have gone to the IITs. Yes,
those same IITs that have enabled many to build careers in the US and in
India. Yes, those same IITs that have built the very foundations that they
so easily rubbish today.

If it wasn't for JFK, man may not have gone to the moon. A country needs
visionaries, just like it needs bright people from every other branch.

More later

--Ram