[Assam] Math First: Harvard & UVa study on college science success

Chan Mahanta cmahanta at charter.net
Sun Jul 29 06:08:04 PDT 2007

O' Ram:

Hope your weekend is going well. We had a nice kharkhowa gathering,
along with some  kolgutikhowas and even a couple of desuali  folks
last evening. This has been the most pleasant of July weather I can
recall in our 32 years in St. Louis. A light breeze carrying mist
from the river kept us comfortable, the mosquitos were on vacation,
the cicadas were noisy but our friends' conversation kept them at bay
and my mango-margarita kept everyone mellower than the near
full-moon's light under a clear sky, until we fared our friends well-
in whose honor we hosted the gathering--on their impending
trip to the desert of Rajasthan where he will be teaching business
management as a Fullbright Scholar
on sabbatical at Pilani and she will be there to keep him company.

Anyway,  I read your thoughts here. As usual, no problems with your
being a non-engineer. I am not one either. In IIT we, the
architecture students, were laughed at by our engineering friends,
because we did not use slide-rules, which was equivalent to looking
down upon people who count with their fingertips, the lowest of the
low-tech lot, a few notches below the logarithmatic-table users. We
tried to turn the tables by laughing at their drawing skills. But
they knew how to put us even further down: They told us that they
will always have draftsmen ( I don't remember hearing of draftswomen)
to do their dirty work, while we shall remain pencil-pushers for
ever. That was really below the below the belt, and it hurt.

Enough about my sad stories.

On the fools'-rush front, I won't hold anyone guilty of crimes that I
routinely commit. So rest easy there also.

By now if you are beginning to fret about   all the nicey-nice leader
to this response and wondering if I am about spring a tripper on you,
relax there too. I don't have anything tricky up my sleeve this
morning.

All I ask is WHAT exactly were you and your cheering section, ably
led by Krishendu,  trying to prove or disprove ? Once I get a bearing
on that, I will be pleased to share my thoughts.

Take care.

c-da