[Assam] Current Assam flood and Children of Dhemaji

Ankur Bora ankur_bora2000 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 30 15:23:46 PDT 2007

Dear friends, you must be aware of the current devastating flood in Assam. While the flood has affected almost all the districts , Dhemaji  district is  the worst-hit. According to the today’s edition of Sentinel , Dhemaji has remained cut off from the rest of Assam since July 12 with the highway breached in about five points. Nearly two lakh people had been affected and about 300 villages were inundated. At least 250,000 people in the district were displaced with floodwaters submerging their villages - some of them literally washed away by the high current. There are hundreds of mothers whose children are down with fever and waterborne diseases in Dhemaji.
  A few volunteers of Rural Volunteer Force (RVC) have been working tirelessly to support and rehabilitate some of the families. RVC was set up in year 1989 by Ravindranath , an engineer from IIT Delhi. They have been trying not only to rehabilitate but also to provide an alternate livelihood to those affected families. Currently RVC has identified 45 families to support and sustain.  Please visit the website to know more about the details of these children and their families.
  http://www.childrenofdhemaji.ngo.net.in/

  I put forward our sincere request to support their cause financially. If you are residing in Assam or in India please contact Ravindranath at
  Rural volunteers Centre
Po+Vill- Akajan. Via - Silapathar
Dist-Dhemaji.(Assam)787059.INDIA
Phone-03753-246306Fax-245758
Mobile phone-09435089275/09435089824
E-mail.ruralvolunteerscentre at yahoo.co.in

  For North American residents you can support through Assam Foundation of North America ,  www.assamfoundation.net  or through ASA foundation (email asafinc at aol.com ) .

  Please note that your financial contribution will be tax exempted and you will also be notified about the fund utilization details.

  We sincerely wish that our community will rise to this occasion and help our people back home.
   Sincerely,
   Ankur Bora
   Austin , Texas