[Air-l] Call for panel participants + pre-conference idea

Mia Consalvo consalvo at ohio.edu
Tue Jan 6 16:47:58 PST 2004

Hi all,

I'm beating the last-minute rush and trying to put together a panel to
submit for aoir 5.0 in Sussex. The topic is related to gaming, and I'm
interested in putting together a panel that examines how game players (and
perhaps even game developers) use the internet in relation to offline
games-- so possible (off the top of my head) topics would be something like:
*Sims fans that have created virtual boutiques and shopping malls for their
homegrown skins
*Mod teams and clans that communicate (etc) via a web site, email, IM, ...
*Developers that keep updates online, and even create areas for fans to
contribute ideas or encouragement
*Fan sites generally
*Way more stuff than I can think of right now.

If people could email me off-list at consalvo at ohio.edu we can talk about
ideas more, and see what takes shape.

On another note, I thought it would also be cool to have a pre-conference
related to game studies (maybe methods challenges related to game studies
online). Anyone interested in doing that (which would be either a half or
whole day, depending on interest and scope) please email me too.

Happy New Year!

Mia
--
Mia Consalvo, Ph.D.