[Air-l] Open access publishing

Katja Mruck kmruck at cedis.fu-berlin.de
Mon Sep 11 10:08:56 PDT 2006

Dear All,

i did not follow the complete discussion on open access publishing, so
hopefully my comments will not only repeat was already had been
mentioned ...

Besides NIH in USA, you might be interested in the RCUK position on
issue of improved access to research outputs
(http://www.rcuk.ac.uk/access/index.asp); also funding organizations in
other countries support OA, f.e. in Germany the Deutsche
Forschungsgemeinschaft
(http://www.dfg.de/en/news/information_science_research/other_news/info_wissenschaft_04_06.html,
  http://www.dfg.de/lis/openaccess/).

DFG and many others signed the Berlin Declaration on Open Access to
Knowledge in the Sciences and Humanities (see
http://www.zim.mpg.de/openaccess-berlin/berlindeclaration.html for the
declaration and http://www.zim.mpg.de/openaccess-berlin/signatories.html
for a list of signatories).

Some other URLs besides Peter Suber´s SPARC Open Access Newsletter
already mentioned for those interested in the topic:

- Budapest Open Access Initiative: http://www.soros.org/openaccess/

- Directory of Open Access Journals: http://www.doaj.org/

- Registry of Open Access Repositories: http://archives.eprints.org/

- Publisher Copyright Policies & Self-archiving:
http://www.sherpa.ac.uk/romeo.php

And various mailing lists (BOAI-Forum, American Scientist etc.) exist;
more links to resources and texts are available at Stevan Harnad´s
website (http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/).

Our own journal, FQS, is open access since 2000. The newsletter we
distribute once a month (English and German) contains information about
the latest OA developments (just send a short PM if you like to receive it).

All the best,
Katja

--
FQS - Forum Qualitative Sozialforschung
/ Forum: Qualitative Social Research (ISSN 1438-5627)

Dr. Katja Mruck
Freie Universitaet Berlin
Center fuer Digitale Systeme (CeDiS)
Ihnestr. 24
D - 14195 Berlin

E-mail: kmruck at cedis.fu-berlin.de
Phone:  ++49 (0)30 838 - 55 725 / - 52 779 (off.)
         ++49 (0)30 791 54 31 (priv.)
Fax:    ++49 (0)30 838 - 52 843