[Air-l] Origin of the term "Internet" ?

Jeremy Hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Fri Mar 30 05:42:00 PDT 2007

as I recall, and given our record of not maintaining much
standardization of anything, the discussion was along the lines of
'can we stop capitalizing it?, is there any reason to capitalize
it?'  to which there was consensus was 'yes' and 'no'.  this debate
was had in terms of the first annual, and in regards to I think it
was I.R. 4.0  .   In my mind, there is no 'debate' or even 'strong
argument' .   You can do whatever you want because at best internet
is a set that demarcates too many things to be capitalized, there is
no thing called 'the Internet'  beyond linguistic convention, there
are a set of standards, and technologies that are internet
technologies, ie technologies that allow you to network and make
internets amongst networks and to transfer data across networks,
but... when we say 'the internet'  we cannot be referring to any
proper name, as there is literally no simple referent.  To capitalize
it is to capitalize, the 'Globe' instead of capitalizing the
'Earth'.  There are many globes with many forms and there are many
internets with many forms.
On Mar 30, 2007, at 8:17 AM, Sue Cranmer wrote:

> Hi Jeremy
>
> In view of the strong arguments here to the contrary, do you have
> time to
> briefly outline why the assoc. decided to standardize on the small
> I, or
> point towards the relevant archive?
>
> Thanks
>
> Best wishes
>
> Sue

jeremy hunsinger
Information Ethics Fellow, Center for Information Policy Research,
School of Information Studies, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
(www.cipr.uwm.edu)

wiki.tmttlt.com
www.tmttlt.com

http://www.stswiki.org/  sts wiki