[Air-l] turnitin issue [and privacy+security of students]

Miraj Khaled techiemik at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 9 12:32:27 PST 2007

well, are we sure it is  only 'hash' of the papers?
have turnitin made that clear? any way,  Dan, the Feds
may not even need to reconstruct the full papers. they
can just execute search strings on arbitray terms and
then just put the author names into the "No Fly List".

but even if we leave this aside there's another issue
of concern. let's say a young muslim student [in
Canada] is given an assignment to write a paper on
Contemporary US policy in the Middle East. so if s/he
knows that his/her paper would be required to be
sumbitted to the turnitin database and can be searched
at will by US authorities. would s/he be freely
expressing his/her opinion against the US government
and their policy if s/he knows that s/he may be
travelling to US in near future? This may seem
far-fetched, but can any of you [or turnitin] assure
us  [the students] that the rights of the authors of
submitted papers are NOT being trampled??

I thank Richard Stevens for bringing forward some of
the scenarios that may happen and probably IS already
happening. I remember reading some times ago of a
student in US who wrote a graduate thesis on the
location/vulnerability of network/power grids and
other critical infrastructures and mapping them on
topographic maps. all the data were gleaned from
publicly available sources. yet the feds heard of this
thesis and basically restricted it's publication and
even denied the author access to his own thesis paper.
I know this is not related to turnitin, but this is
one example that is of concern to me at least.

miraj khaled
Graduate Student
Simon Fraser University