[Air-L] Online research ethics

Lois Ann Scheidt lscheidt at indiana.edu
Fri Mar 7 07:25:33 PST 2008

And if I may add a rule of thumb I've found to work well in thinking
about what should and should lead to an IRB application in the USA -
remember that my default is to always apply, especially if you are a
grad student.  Here's the rule:

If you are studying the site(s) as texts without consideration to the
issues of the people who wrote the words, placed the pictures,
etc....then I think you can use the text argument.  HOWEVER, if you are
using the words or pictures or whatever, on the screen to get at issues
related to the content creators then you are studying people.  PERIOD.

So from my perspective as soon as you are gathering demographic
data...you are studying the people and using the text as the tool to do
that study.  I'm sure a non-human subjects social networking study
could be - and probably has been - designed but, almost by definition,
social networking is studying the content creators rather than the
content.

Lois Ann Scheidt

Doctoral Student - School of Library and Information Science, Indiana
University, Bloomington IN USA

Adjunct Instructor - School of Informatics, IUPUI, Indianapolis IN USA and
IUPUC, Columbus IN USA

Webpage:  http://www.loisscheidt.com
Blog:  http://www.professional-lurker.com