[Air-L] Online research ethics

Jeremy Hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Fri Mar 7 07:52:30 PST 2008

Well yes and no, then the question becomes one of what you are saying
about what.  This is a slippery slope because one can always argue
that if the creator of something is still alive... you are studying
people and I think we should explicitly avoid implication that
studying people makes any given individual a research subject.   There
are a myriad of ways of studying people without fitting the
description of a research subject in the u.s. guidelines (which is not
as rich and  plural as many humanist might wish, but ehh....).  The
situation in the u.s. as i've read it makes people a subject when you
intervene, when you invade privacy, or when you might risk harm (harm
in a way that is substantially more and different from the everyday.)

I do agree that if you aren't sure whether you are subject to irb
approval, you should get irb approval.   But I don't think we should
argue that studying blogs archived on the web and making inferences
from their produced textual materials about bloggers in general is
any different than when i study books and publications in order to
make inferences about the operations of academia.  Now, if i were to
study a blog to understand one person's life that might be an issue,
and it would depend signficantly on the methods you undertake as to
where my opinion would lie.