[Air-L] New Blog Series: New Media Practices in International Contexts

Mimi Ito mito at itofisher.com
Tue Jan 27 12:42:12 PST 2009

Here is an announcement of a series of blog posts that I am hoping
might be of interest to some of you on this list.  --mi

New Media Practices in International Contexts Blog Series

January 26 2009

The Digital Media and Learning Research Hub, UCHRI

Futures of Learning (www.futuresoflearning.org)

We are very pleased to introduce our new blog series, New Media
Practices in International Contexts. Our blog series looks at the
intersection of youth, new media and learning in a range of countries
outside of North America and Western Europe.  Inspired by the ways in
which Scribner and Cole's (1981) work among the Vai of Liberia
transformed activity theory, Brian Street's (1984, 1993) fieldwork in
Iran contributed to the development of New Literacy Studies and Paulo
Freire's (1970) work in Brazil influenced critical pedagogy, we
believe that examining new media practices from an international
(and, in some cases, transnational) perspective will enhance our
current efforts to theorize youth, new media and learning.

Over the next three to four months we will be introducing six case
studies – Brazil, China, Ghana, India, Korea and Japan – which
challenge us to think about the intersection of youth, new media and
learning in new ways. Beginning with Cara Wallis' analysis of China
today, each country review will begin a discussion of the
telecommunications landscape. Subsequent posts by HyeRyoung Ok
(Korea), Anke Schwittay (India), Heather Horst (Brazil), Mimi Ito and
Daisuke Okabe (Japan) and Araba Sey (Ghana) will focus upon internet
and mobile phone practices, gaming as well as new media production.
As we have discovered in reading and writing up the material, each
case study provides a unique perspective on the ways in which
infrastructure, institutions and culture (among other factors) shape
contemporary new media practices. If you know of books or articles
that we have missed, or have feedback on any of the case studies, we
would really welcome a comment or an email.

Before I conclude, I want to add one final note. In the exploratory
phase of this project we sent out requests for articles, books and
information to various individuals and news lists. We were all amazed
at the generosity of fellow researchers in providing summaries of the
fascinating work being carried out in this space and, in some cases,
extensive bibliographies. We would like to thank the following
individuals for their valuable suggestions and assistance:

Julie Soleil Archimbault, Francois Bar, Paul Braund, Larissa Hjorth,
Răzvan Nicolescu, John Postill and Mikko Villi.

In addition, many of us have also found discussions on the Media
Anthropology and Association of Internet Researchers extremely
valuable. We are very grateful to these two communities of scholars.