[Air-L] out of luck re transcription?

Barry Wellman wellman at chass.utoronto.ca
Tue Jan 27 13:14:12 PST 2009

We've never found a transcription program that will work with interviews.
That's because you need to train the program for each voice, and while the
interviewers are trainable [;-)], each respondent isn't. Hard enuf to get
a resp. to hold still to be interviewed.

We have had good luck with transcription software, for going from voice
recording to interviews. Tracy, what did we use last?

 Barry Wellman

  S.D. Clark Professor of Sociology, FRSC              NetLab Director
  Department of Sociology                        University of Toronto
  725 Spadina Avenue, Room 388                  Toronto Canada M5S 2J4
  http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~wellman            fax:+1-416-978-3963

  Updating history:     http://chass.utoronto.ca/oldnew/cybertimes.php