[Air-L] Position Available UOIT, Canada

Mark D. Johns mjohns at luther.edu
Tue Feb 23 14:16:58 PST 2010

Posted on behalf of one of my Canadian friends...

Faculty of Criminology, Justice and Policy Studies - Communication -
UOIT10-18

Competition Number: UOIT10-18

Posting date: February 16, 2010

Faculty of Criminology, Justice and Policy Studies (to be renamed:
Faculty of Social Science and Humanities July, 2010)

We invite you to consider joining the University Of Ontario Institute Of
Technology's (UOIT) globally trained faculty as we further our
reputation as a leading learning environment that delivers innovative
research.

The Faculty of Criminology, Justice and Policy Studies (Faculty of
Social Sciences and Humanities) is accepting applications for a
tenure-track Associate, a tenured Associate or tenured Professor
position at a senior level in Communication.  A successful new BA in
Communication program was launched at UOIT in 2007 and an MA in
Communication (Professional) program is planned for 2011. In support of
this rapid expansion we invite applications for a core faculty position
from candidates with a PhD in Communication and several years of
experience in teaching (including graduate level courses and
supervision), research and administration.  The successful candidate
will take on a leadership role within the Communication program and will
oversee the launch of the upcoming MA.

While all candidates with expertise and experience in various areas of
Communication Studies are encouraged to apply, we are especially
interested in hiring faculty who can teach in the areas of
Organizational Communication, International Communication, Business and
Professional Writing, or the Social, Political and Economic impact of
ICTs. Demonstrated leadership skills which can be used to help build a
strong Communication program, as well as an active research agenda are,
however, the main qualifications for this position. Experience
supervising graduate students is preferred. Applications from mid-career
and senior scholars are encouraged.

UOIT has a 21st-century vision of teaching and learning excellence. Our
educational philosophy is to challenge, to encourage innovation, and to
connect our faculty, students and the community while respecting the
best practice traditions of Canada's established universities. You will
be welcomed by an enthusiastic, hard-working team of colleagues
committed to making your new career at UOIT an enriching and rewarding
experience. As UOIT offers its' students a technology enhanced learning
experience, some familiarity with online course delivery is an asset for
this position. Our course development support teams will assist new
faculty with the preparation and delivery of all course materials.

The Faculty of Criminology (Social Science and Humanities) offers
Bachelor of Arts  degrees in Communication, Criminology and Justice ,
Legal Studies, Public Policy, and a Master of Arts (MA)  in Criminology.

Review of applications will begin on April 5, 2010 and will continue
until the position is filled. Please send electronically a formal letter
of application, a curriculum vitae, a statement of teaching philosophy
and interests, an outline of your present and future research agendas,
and the names of three referees to: careers at uoit.ca  Please indicate the
competition number in the subject line of the e-mail. Candidates for the
full Professor position are required to submit the names of four referees.

The University Of Ontario Institute Of Technology is strongly committed
to diversity within its community, and welcomes applications from
qualified visible minority group members, Aboriginal persons, persons
with disabilities, members of sexual minority groups, and others who may
contribute to further the diversification of ideas. The University Of
Ontario Institute Of Technology is located in a region experiencing one
of the highest growth rates both in Canada and globally. UOIT also
offers the opportunity to teach, conduct research and live near one of
the most diverse cities in the world, Toronto. All qualified candidates
are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will
be given priority.