[Air-L] Best practices for e-learning

Pam Brewer brewerpe at appstate.edu
Thu Sep 2 13:39:41 PDT 2010

Holly--

One excellent resource is /Online Education, /edited by Kelli Cargile
Cook and Keith Grant-Davie.  They are also preparing a new collection
that, I believe, will be out soon.

Also valuable is Means, B., Toyama, Y., Murphy, R., Bakia, M., & Jones,
K. (2009). /Evaluation of Evidence-Based Practices in Online Learning:
A Meta-Analysis and Review of Online Learning Studies/. Washington D.C.:
U.S. Department of Education, Office of Planning, Evaluation, and Policy
Development.   This is a meta-analysis of online education research.

I have an article coming out in the December issue of /Transactions on
Professional Communication /entitled "Miscommunication in International
Virtual Workplaces" that may also help.

Finally, I can share a few tips based on my teaching online.  I believe
it is a critical step to have a regular synchronous meeting as well as
asynchronous activities.

This rich mixture of technology provides the best results.  I also try
for one f2f meeting to kick things off though this isn't always
possible.  Finally, I emphasize meta-communication throughout the
class--discussing the communication and how it is going--what's working
and what isn't.

Best!

Pam

Pamela Estes Brewer
Assistant Professor
Director, Writing and Editing Internships
Department of English
Appalachian State University
Manager, STC Academic Special Interest Group
phone 828-262-2351
fax  828-262-2133
email  brewerpe at appstate.edu