[Air-L] Wired: Why Open Data Alone Is Not Enough (the "Data Divide")

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 06:53:47 PDT 2011

Some of you may find this of interest...

Lichtenstein's Wired article  (Current July issue) on "Why Open Data Alone
Is Not Enough "
http://www.wired.com/magazine/2011/06/st_essay_datafireworks/

The notion of a "Data Divide" Lichtenstein refers to was I believe, first
discussed here
http://firstmonday.org/htbin/cgiwrap/bin/ojs/index.php/fm/article/view/3316/
2764

for a very recent update on the discussion with  (40 or so verry interesting
comments including from the Open Knowledge Foundation Board )
http://gurstein.wordpress.com/2011/07/03/are-the-open-data-warriors-fighting
-for-robin-hood-or-the-sheriff-some-reflections-on-okcon-2011-and-the-emergi
ng-data-divide/

and my additional blogpost reply to the lengthy comments from Peter
Murray-Rust of the OKF (+ more very interesting comments)
http://wp.me/pJQl5-7h

Best to all,

Mike
Michael Gurstein, Ph.D.
Director: Centre for Community Informatics Research, Development and
Training
Vancouver, CANADA
http://www.communityinformatics.net <http://www.communityinformatics.net/>
CA tel. +1-604-602-0624