[Air-L] PhD dissertation format

Dave Karpf davekarpf at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 16:14:58 PDT 2011

This type of dissertation is very common in some social science programs,
less-so in others.  I have colleagues in econ and in the more econ-driven
subfields of political science for whom this is the norm.  It seems the main
distinction is whether you are entering more of a book-driven or
article-driven subfield.

I'd dismiss your first concern, that these are peer-reviewed articles, btw.
 Yes, solo peer-reviewed articles can be said to represent an individual's
best solo effort.  This is the case because *all* of our work in academia is
eventually peer-reviewed.  The process of managing those multiple inputs,
engaging with their critiques, and crafting responses to them is fundamental
to a "solo" effort.  Or put more plainly, there is no such thing as a truly
lone scholar.  We are all participating in a discourse, and one's
contribution is shaped passively through the books they read, semi-passively
through the questions and methods they select, and actively through the peer
reviews and conference discussants we encounter along the way.

(As for traditional dissertations going from A to Z and building a point
over time... well, having just recently converted my traditional
dissertation into a book manuscript, I'd humbly suggest that it's always a
work-in-progress.  What I thought was comprehensive in 2009 felt woefullly
inadequate in 2010/11.)

Bottom-line: the article compilation route is a good choice for fields that
emphasize articles over books.  The traditional dissertation route is a good
choice for fields that emphasize books over articles (or treat them
equally).  And in all cases, follow the prevailing norms of whatever
departments you hope will one day hire you.

Regards,
Dave