[Air-L] Call for Papers - Kinder & Braver World Project

danah boyd aoir.z3z at danah.org
Thu Jul 12 19:50:38 PDT 2012

Friends and colleagues,

Just a light reminder, the July 25th deadline for submissions to the Kinder & Braver World working paper series is fast approaching. This round's call is for papers on "Youth Movements for Social Change" and "The Role of Youth Organizations." Thank you once again for the wonderful help of pushing this out to others!

best,
danah

> Dear Colleagues:
>
> The Berkman Center for Internet & Society is delighted to announce a Call for Papers for The Kinder & Braver World Project: Research Series (danah boyd and John Palfrey, editors) presented by the Berkman Center and the Born This Way Foundation, and supported by the John D. & Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation.
>

> For more information regarding the series, please see: http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/research/youthandmedia/kinderbraverworld
>
> This working paper series publishes short papers that synthesize existing peer-reviewed research or equivalent scholarship and provide research-grounded insight to the variety of stakeholders working on issues related to youth empowerment and action towards creating a kinder, braver world.  The papers grow out of different types of research (e.g., social science, mental health, medical, legal) and are aimed at different audiences (e.g., youth, parents, teachers, school boards, religious leaders, policy makers).  It will be developed in phases, and over time will cover a wide range of topics related to youth empowerment and the development of kindness and bravery.
>
> For this call, we are looking for papers that are related to two topics:
>
> Youth Movements for Social Change. What is known about youth organizing and youth social movements?  How do adults and youth work together for social change?  How do youth movements leverage technology? What are psychosocial predictors of youth engagement? How do peer norms affect youth activism? What is the relationship between self-efficacy and youth empowerment? What are key research insights that organizations trying to create a social movement with youth need to know?
> The Role of Youth Organizations.  Youth have long participated in religious and secular organizations, including programs like the Girl Scouts of America, 4-H, and Gay-Straight Alliances.  How has participation in these organizations shaped youths’ worldviews, civic engagement, and social wellbeing?  What kinds of organizational structures work best to engage youth? Does participation in youth organizations predict healthy civic engagement? How is social media used by youth organizations? What are notable successes and failures in creating youth organizations? What are key lessons from youth organizations that anyone working to support youth should know?
> For more information, see the call for papers: http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/research/youthandmedia/kinderbraverworld.
>
> To view previous papers on Meanness and Cruelty, see: http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/node/7491
>
> Important Dates
> Submissions are due by July 25, 2012 to kbw-series at cyber.law.harvard.edu.
>
> For information on content and formatting requirements, as well as our review process and all other deadlines, please review our Guidelines to Authors: http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/node/7747.

> [...]

Please mind that emails sent through this list are considered public unless
otherwise noted.

------

"you don't have to like me for who i am /
but we'll see what you're made of /
by what you make of me" -- ani

http://www.zephoria.org/thoughts/
http://www.danah.org/