[Air-L] Syracuse University's ISchool welcomes applications for our PhD program

Jennifer Stromer-Galley jstromer at syr.edu
Wed Nov 5 14:12:09 PST 2014

Syracuse University's School of Information Studies welcomes applicants for our doctoral program. Admitted students are assured of at least four year's funding (including summers) along with tuition and other support.

The interdisciplinary nature of our program is visible through the backgrounds of the 40 students currently pursuing their Ph.D.  Students hail from ten countries and a range of academic backgrounds:  communications and other social sciences, business, computer science, library science, information science, and others.   This makes our doctoral program a welcoming and inclusive place for scholars from under-represented populations, something we see as a defining element of our program.

Doctoral students pursue individualized course plans that are tuned to their particular research interests and needs.  This means advising and, more importantly, close working relationships with faculty members is a cornerstone of the Syracuse University iSchool Ph.D. program. This is why it is both residential and full-time.

We celebrate the success of our recent graduates who are taking up tenure-track positions in premier research institutions and exceptional liberal arts colleges, excelling in academic and policy think tanks, and pursuing entrepreneurial success! Current students are earning awards for their publications and dissertation work, continuing a long tradition of such recognition.

For 2015, we are particularly interested in speaking with applicants and seeing applications from those whose interests align with one or more of the following research areas:

Text and data mining, Natural Language Processing and Information Retrieval | Data science and data analytics | Information policy, Internet governance, and telecommunications policy | Information technology policy and globalization | Mobile computing | Librarianship | Usability, accessibility, and universal design | Data infrastructure and services in support of research Organizational impacts of ICTs (e.g., Citizen Science, FLOSS, Wikipedia, mobile work, distributed scientific collaboration, health IT) | Digitally-enabled research methods (e.g., Trace ethnography, socio-computational approaches) | Smart grids/energy informatics and Infrastructure studies | Information security and privacy (policies, management, and technologies) | Social Computing, social media, social networks, and crowdsourcing

You can learn more about the Syracuse iSchool faculty and interests at http://ischool.syr.edu/future/doctoral/research_areas.aspx.

You can learn more about the doctoral program and application (due 3 January, 2014) at http://ischool.syr.edu/future/doctoral/index.aspx.

Please reach out to the program director, Steve Sawyer, at ssawyer at syr.edu<mailto:ssawyer at syr.edu>, or our doctoral programs manager, Jennifer Barclay, at jabarcla at syr.edu<mailto:jabarcla at syr.edu>, with questions!

~Jenny
Associate Professor | School of Information Studies
Vice President | Association of Internet Researchers
Syracuse University
220 Hinds Hall
Syracuse, New York 13244
t 315.443.1823  f 315.443.5673  e jstromer at syr.edu