[Air-L] Intro-level readings on games/gamification?

Jonathan Mendels mendelsj at post.bgu.ac.il
Mon Apr 13 01:31:55 PDT 2015

Hi Luis
I can recommend articles by James Paul Gee, Sebastian Deterding and Kevin
Werbach.
The Games for change <http://www.gamesforchange.org/> website offers a list
of publications and This site offers a good read about gamification in
education
<http://www.newmedia.org/game-based-learning--what-it-is-why-it-works-and-where-its-going.html>
.
I hope you will find them useful.
Best,
Jonathan

> Hi all,
>
> I'm teaching an intro to communication technologies class for comm majors,
> and one of our last weeks is about games. This will include an introduction
> to the history of the industry and some content about its most visible
> aspects, like blockbuster console games. But I'd like to talk to them about
> other topics, like gamification or games that aim to do social good. Can
> anyone recommend some interesting & engaging freshman/sophomore level
> readings about these topics? Ideally some long-form journalism or
> accessible scholarly work.
>
> Thanks!
>
> - - - - -
> Dr. Luis E. Hestres
> Assistant Professor
> Department of Communication
> The University of Texas at San Antonio
> One UTSA Circle
> San Antonio, TX 78249-0732
> http://www.luishestres.com
>
> Want to support our tax deductible nonprofit work by contributing to the
> UTSA department of communication?
> Please visit: https://giving.utsa.edu/FriendsofCommunication
> Thanks for your support!

Best,
Jonathan Mendels
PhD Candidate, Department of Communication
Ben Gurion University
www.bgu.ac.il/links