[Air-L] Help with digital ethnography & early Internet history

Nadia Tjahja nadia.tjahja at gmail.com
Sat Feb 8 01:11:56 PST 2020

Hi Lexi,

I don't do digital ethnography, but I'm glad that you're looking out for
your safety! I'm very much of the idea of implementing a very strict safety
approach until you have seen what kinds of reactions come back and then you
can be more relaxed about how you want to continue, rather safe than sorry.

For a violent extremism and online radicalisation project, I had one
colleague going "undercover" and I was the public face of the project which
came out with my personal data, and now I'm researching mental health
services online and these are some of the precautions we took:

   - *Make an introductory appointment with a (university) psychologist and
   afterwards regularly check in with them or a colleague*
   Explain your project and any fears of harassment you may encounter. I
   used to check in with my colleague once every week to ask her how she felt
   about the content she was engaging with and how it made her feel, and also
   if there were any issues or concerns she had about them. If she felt unsafe
   or if she wished that there were certain things she wouldn't encounter. She
   appreciated me reaching out to her and sharing her concerns rather than
   sharing the content. If nothing is wrong, it's great practice on presenting
   your work, but if certain messages or comments make you feel uncomfortable
   in any way, then you can address your feelings about them and check in with
   colleagues how to move further with these concerns.

   - *Tell friends and family about your research and the concerns that you
   have*
   There's going to be a lot of explaining about what you do, but letting
   them know makes sure that you've also built your support group in case
   things get more difficult. You want your people to understand what you're
   doing from the get go rather than them being the people that question what
   you do, which can be alienating. If they don't understand your work, widen
   your circle. We found support in places from people we didn't naturally
   expect. My parents for example, don't understand the Internet. Make sure
   they understand the boundaries (that they don't interfere with your study)
   but that you want them to walk the road with you and have your back.

   - Mentioned before, *secure your data*!
   In addition to Dr Palma's comments, check any loose accounts that you
   have floating around. If you had a public MySpace or if you ever had an
   online journal, blog ot neopets account, these can provide information
   about yourself that you didn't know could harm you. Check your social media
   accounts in particular what public information is available (people always
   forget that LinkedIn can publish your email and number, so make sure that
   this is hidden). There are also third party accounts that will collect your
   pictures and data such as Rocket Reach, Apollo, you can ask them to remove
   your information. Even mailing lists such as these can be public. If you
   are really concerned, ask also your friends and family to set their
   profiles on private and check that information about you isn't publicly
   available. There are services you can pay that will close down accounts
   that you have open.

   - Mentioned before,
*separate personal from private *Dr Palma also mentions to set up a
   separate Twitter handle, email account etc. and Dr Ferrier asked some very
   good questions to reflect on. My additional comment would be to ensure that
   there is one other tech savvy person who has access to all your accounts
   and can check that you are not dealing with something that nobody saw
   coming. I also use a university computer for my research rather than my
   personal computer.

   - *Set time limitations*
   If you do end up with feedback or data which is hurtful, limit your time
   accessing these accounts. Seems obvious, but it's easy to get consumed.

Good luck and be safe!

*Nadia Tjahja*
Sunium
CEO & Co-Founder