[Air-L] Help with digital ethnography & early Internet history

Polina Kolozaridi poli.kolozaridi at gmail.com
Sun Feb 16 13:47:03 PST 2020

Dear Lexi and all,

concerning early internet history, the Web that Was conference might be of
interest to you: https://thewebthatwas.net/.
Also, the Janet Abbate book is close to it (and the 200+ citations of the
recent years are mostly on gender issues in computing and sometimes
internet)
Abbate, J. (2012). *Recoding gender: Women's changing participation in
computing*. MIT Press.
In the cyberfeminists research projects, it is often lots of useful and
interesting things moving the position from the Western-centric one. See,
for example, Gajjala, R. (2003). South Asian digital diasporas and
cyberfeminist webs: Negotiating globalization, nation, gender and
information technology design. *Contemporary South Asia*, *12*(1), 41-56.

And concerning both digital ethnography and early internet, of course,
Annette Markham Life online (Markham, A. N. (1998). *Life online:
Researching real experience in virtual space* (Vol. 6). Rowman Altamira).

If you'll be interested in some post-Soviet context connected with the
early internet/web history, do not hesitate to write me, I'll be glad to be
helpful, as we try to dig into it with my peers for the last several years.

kindly yours,
Polina