[Air-L] New book - Growing up on Facebook

Brady Robards brady.robards at monash.edu
Mon Jul 13 18:46:17 PDT 2020

Hello AoIR,

Sian Lincoln and I have recently had a new book come out that may be of
interest - *Growing up on Facebook
<https://www.peterlang.com/view/title/64408>*. It's in Peter Lang's Digital
Formations series, edited by Steve Jones.

It is the culmination of a project looking at how young(ish) people make
sense of their own social media archives, those digital traces of personal
histories inscribed on Facebook (and other platforms). We've shared bits
and pieces at AoIR conferences over the years, and we've had very helpful
and constructive feedback - thank you!

The official blurb and our table of contents below.

For the rest of July, Peter Lang is giving a 30% off discount. You/your
libraries can get it by emailing order at peterlang.com, with "Robards" in the
subject line, and mentioning the discount. A sales rep will take it from
there. It's available as an ebook, paperback, or hardback. Still not cheap
as an academic book, but a bit better with the discount: ~$30USD/$43AUD/€27
+p&h.

Cheers,
Brady

--
*Growing up on Facebook*
Brady Robards & Sian Lincoln

Growing up in the era of social media isn’t easy. With Facebook now having
existed for more than a decade and a half, young people who have grown up
using social media can look back and see earlier versions of themselves
staring back: nostalgic moments with friends from school, reminders of
painful breakups, birthdays and graduations, posts that allude to drama
with family, experiences of travel, and blurry drunken photos. How do we
make sense of our own personal histories inscribed on and through social
media? What are the implications for future careers, for public trust in
social media companies, and for our own memories?

Growing up on Facebook examines the role of Facebook, and other social
media platforms that have emerged around Facebook, in mediating experiences
of 'growing up' for young people. Based on interviews with the first
generation of young people to grow up with social media, the book covers
education and employment, love and relationships, family life, and leisure
(drinking, travel, and music). It touches on processes of impression
management, privacy, context collapse, and control, and raises critical
questions about the standards we hold social media platforms to, as they
become the guardians of our personal histories.

Table of Contents:

   1. Introduction
   2. Is Facebook Still Cool? Was It Ever?
   3. Sites and Spaces of Growing Up: Blurring the Digital and Physical
   4. Scrolling Back through Facebook Timelines: Making Sense of Digital
   Traces
   5. Shaping and Performing Professional Identities: From Education to
   Employment
   6. Love, and Making It ‘Facebook Official’
   7. Mediating Family Life
   8. Documenting Leisure: Partying, Travel, Music, and Hanging Out
   9. Disconnections, Absences, Conclusions

---
Dr Brady Robards
Senior Research Fellow in Sociology
School of Social Sciences, Faculty of Arts, Monash University
Publications
<https://research.monash.edu/en/persons/brady-robards/publications/> *|*
bradyrobards.com *|* LGBTIQ
<https://www.monash.edu/diversity-inclusion/lgbtiq/the-ally-network>
<https://www.monash.edu/diversity-inclusion/lgbtiq/the-ally-network>Ally
Network <https://www.monash.edu/diversity-inclusion/lgbtiq/the-ally-network>
 *|* Monash Digital Cultures Research Group
<https://arts.monash.edu/research/excellence/creative-practices-communication-technology/digital-cultures-research-group/>