[Air-L] Seeking literature on Internet access in prisons and detention facilities

Maria José Brites britesmariajose at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 03:46:28 PDT 2020

Dear Muira,

Thanks for bringing such an interesting topic. I have worked in Portuguese, and I am working on an article in English not precisely concerning prisons but referring to juvenile detention centres for young offenders.

I don't know if you are aware of these publications, some of them might be interesting for you:

CARVALHO, M. J. & SERRÃO, J. 2014. Young offenders’ interests and motivations related to accessing TV and Press news. Participations Journal of Audience & Reception Studies, 11, 150-173.

LIM, S., VADREVU, S., CHAN, Y. & BASNYAT, I. 2012. Facework on Facebook: The Online Publicness of Juvenile Delinquents and Youths-at-Risk. Journal of Broadcasting & Electronic Media, 56, 346-346-361.

LIM, S. S., BASNYAT, I., VADREVU, S. & CHAN, Y. H. 2013a. Critical literacy, self-protection and delinquency: the challenges of participatory media for youths at-risk. Learning, Media and Technology, 38, 145-160.

LIM, S. S., CHAN, Y. H., VADREVU, S. & BASNYAT, I. 2013b. Managing peer relationships online – Investigating the use of Facebook by juvenile delinquents and youths-at-risk. Computers in Human Behavior, 29, 8-15.

MINER-ROMANOFF, K. 2016. Voices from Inside: The Power of Art to Transform and Restore. Journal of Correctional Education, 67, 58-74.

MORRIS, J. 2019. Exploring the affordances of digital storytelling in a media-arts restorative justice program. Visual Communication, 18, 205-230.

REISDORF, B. C. & JEWKES, Y. 2016. (B)Locked sites: cases of Internet use in three British prisons. Information, Communication & Society, 19, 771-771-786.

RIGGS, D. W., KING, D., DELFABBRO, P. H. & AUGOUSTINOS, M. 2009. “Children Out of Place”. Journal of Children and Media, 3, 234-248.

TANG, D. T.-S. 2017. Feeling alive: Voices of incarcerated youth in We Are Alive. Crime, Media, Culture, 13, 153-170.

WITT, L., KPEROGI, F. A., SINCLAIR, G. W., BOHRER, C. & NEGASH, S. 2016. Journalism: How One University Used Virtual Worlds to Tell True Stories. #ISOJ, 6, 5-32.

If you could share references on the internet uses in detention facilities, especially for young people, I would appreciate it.

Best,

MJ

Maria José Brites

Lusófona University, CICANT

Principal Investigator DiCi-Educa (co-funding Fundação Calouste Gulbenkian, Academias do Conhecimento)

CV CiênciaVitae | Academia.edu | Researchgate.net

Recent publications:

Generations, Digital Uses and Competences: Trends and Gaps in the Research, editor with Inês Amaral & Antonija Čuvalo, Medijske studije/Media studies

Literacias cívicas e críticas: refletir e praticar, editor with Inês Amaral & Marisa Torres da Silva, CECS