[Air-L] Seeking literature on Internet access in prisons and detention facilities

Muira McCammon muira.n.mccammon at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 18:36:25 PDT 2020

Hi, everyone,

I just wanted to circle back briefly. I think I've now responded to almost
everyone who wrote me individually and felt compelled to write a short
update to the collective.

First off, I'd like to thank everyone for their rich insights. I had put a
project on the back burner related to this topic and now feel thoroughly
compelled to return to work on it. An unexpected development!

Furthermore, some of you have asked that I share the citations I was using
in my own work, before I sent my email; some of you also asked me to share
the citations I received from other members of this listserv. I'm happy to
do this, a little later in the month, and share it back as a Google doc, if
that works for folks.

For a little more background, I am conducting ongoing research involving
the U.N. Detention Unit in The Hague, the U.S. Immigration and Customs
Enforcement's detention facilities, and the U.S. detention facilities
in Guantánamo
Bay (pre-9/11, in the 90s and post-9/11, from the 2002-present).  More
broadly, I examine flows of people, information, and media in and out of
isolated, government-controlled properties. Would love to keep in touch
with folks from the listserv, who have a common interest in these topics.
Please don't hesitate to reach out just to connect and/or discuss
specifics, even if you have no citations to offer! : )

In closing, thank you for giving me much to ponder,

Muira

*Muira McCammon*
*Ph.D. candidate, Annenberg School for Communication, UPenn *

*@muira_mccammon*
*New article out in *New Media & Society
<https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/1461444820934034>*: "*Tweeted,
deleted: An exploratory study of the US government’s digital memory holes"