[Air-L] Purchaing historical tweets

Shulman, Stu stu at texifter.com
Sun Mar 22 14:44:20 PDT 2020

Apologies if we missed a ticket or an email in these uncertain times, but
the historical Twitter for academics operation via Sifter (which provided
historical Twitter access for DiscoverText users) ended September 29, 2018.
We are a very small business and like many of my fellow small business
owners, the events in real time have overtaken all regular budget math with
respect to our survival as a company.

It is important to note that some (to be honest many) of our academic use
cases were deemed to be violations of the Twitter terms of service and the
price model in the end was unbearable for a sole-owner, 2-person business.
I remain extremely proud of the academic contribution of the various
platforms we built and hosted over the years:

https://discovertext.com/publications/
https://discovertext.com/2018/03/31/scholarly-citations-of-the-coding-analysis-toolkit/

After 10 years of offering a monthly individual user subscription, we ended
that model December 31, 2019. This was one of the hardest moments in my
life; it hurt to shut off that option. Software projects are like children;
you love them beyond any rational measure.

Going forward, our software will only live in cloud computing operations
where I do not personally pay the bill. This means departments, colleges
and universities can host DiscoverText going forward, but it needs to be
running on your organization's cloud. Feel free to contact me if that is of
interest.

~Stu

On Sun, Mar 22, 2020 at 4:46 PM An, Seong Ho <anseong at upenn.edu> wrote:

> Hi colleagues,
>
> Hope you are safe and well.
>
> My research team is looking for the best and fastest option to get
> historical tweets. DiscoverText was recommended but they are not
> responsive. I have also contacted TrackMyHashtag but am not sure if they
> are the best. It would be great if you can share your experience or
> recommend third party data sellers most used by researchers.
>
> Thank you,
> Seongho

Dr. Stuart W. Shulman
Founder and CEO, Texifter