[Air-L] Cross-cultural digital religion in the age of corona?

Mark D. Johns mjohns at luther.edu
Wed Mar 25 09:07:28 PDT 2020

Charles,

You are correct that the national news media in the U.S. have not
given a lot of attention to children, local stations have done so. Two
network affiliates in our top-20 market have run stories just in the
past two days:
https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/video/4492262-your-questions-about-kids-coronavirus-answered/
https://www.kare11.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/families-figuring-out-coping-techniques-during-social-distancing/89-712b30c1-c10b-48c5-a2f3-bd59e5eb9dad

and a quick Google search turned up these from other markets:
https://www.ksla.com/2020/03/23/suffering-silence-covid-increased-risk-child-abuse/
https://fox6now.com/2020/03/23/texas-hospital-sees-spike-in-severe-child-abuse-cases-possibly-related-to-covid-19-stress/

Understanding how news media work, I also searched for PR activity
that may have triggered some of these stories, and discovered this
from Monday:
https://www.fbi.gov/news/pressrel/press-releases/school-closings-due-to-covid-19-present-potential-for-increased-risk-of-child-exploitation

An interesting line of research. Hope you and Connie are well.
--
Mark D. Johns, Ph.D.
Professor Emeritus of Communication Studies