[Air-L] Question about Twitter data privacy policy

Sugar, Benjamin Nathan bsugar at iu.edu
Thu May 21 12:11:12 PDT 2020

Hi Gimena,

You’re right it is slightly nuanced.

For the information you are sharing (which if I understand is *only* the text of the tweet), unless their TOS has changed (always good to hedge) yes, you can.  I don’t believe the format (e.g. csv vs. a database) matters.

What you cannot do, is make tweets available in their entirety. In that case, you can only share tweet id’s and others must “rehydrate” them.

Twarc from the Documenting the Now project can extract the Tweet ID's very easily.  You do need to run a command in a terminal, but if you can double click on an app icon, and type a sentence, you can do it and I’m happy to help!

https://www.docnow.io/
https://github.com/DocNow/twarc#dehydrate

If you have the time/resources, consider making the ID a field in your data.  There have been a few times when someone’s project inspired an idea but it would have required a part of the tweet that was missing from the dataset.

Benjamin