[Air-L] open scholarship, proprietary videoconferencing

Fred Fuchs fred at firesabre.com
Tue Oct 27 08:21:52 PDT 2020

On 10/27/2020 9:41 AM, Alexandre Hocquet wrote:
> Scholars once designed email and mailing lists for their communication
> needs as open protocols. They are now surrendering their
> computer-mediated communication tools to proprietary platforms 40
> years later. This "absurdist" situation according to one of the
> academics involved in the Zoom censorship turmoil is a direct
> consequence of this giving away.

My company primarily uses email, Discord, and Cisco WebEx. None of these
have the sort of censorship some have allegedly encountered while using
Zoom. We've also used HipChat and Slack in the past.

We tested, and decided not to use several of Microsoft's solutions that
didn't fit our usage patterns.

1. Some of these platforms have free versions.

2. None of these platforms prevent one from exporting data. Using them
does not mean one's work is locked up behind a paywall.

3. It is particularly important to have a trustworthy administrator when
using any of these platforms.

> If anyone on the list is aware of an anglophone media outlet that
> would be interested in an English version of that piece, I would be
> happy to submit it to them, especially in the light of these recent
> events.

I believe this article might fit in IEEE Spectrum as a short article.

https://spectrum.ieee.org/

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_Spectrum

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Institute_of_Electrical_and_Electronics_Engineers

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Institute_of_Electrical_and_Electronics_Engineers