[Air-L] Buying tweets ?

Deen Freelon dfreelon at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 06:20:16 PDT 2020

I have purchased tweets directly from Twitter on multiple occasions. I
disagree with Dr. Gloviczki about paying research costs--some of the
most rigorous research is sponsored. I wouldn't spend my own personal
money on such costs, but if you've got funding, by all means use it.

Twitter allows university-affiliated users to buy data in a few ways.
I've primarily used their a la carte service (that's just what I call
it), where you give them a set of search criteria (e.g. a keyword[s] and
a time period) and they give you a quote. Pricing is based on the number
of days covered and the total volume of tweets. Their minimum price is a
little over $1k US and costs can quickly run into the five-figure range,
especially if you want tweets over a lengthy period of time. Also, they
have been known to refuse certain data requests, especially those
related to international conflict. The criteria for "acceptable" data
requests are not public--I've asked.

Twitter does not advertise this service but it does exist. Fill out this
form and ask about it:
https://developer.twitter.com/en/products/twitter-api/enterprise/application

The associated metadata are the same as provided through the standard
APIs. These can be found here:
https://developer.twitter.com/en/docs/twitter-api/v1/tweets/post-and-engage/api-reference/get-statuses-lookup
Language tags are included, and geographic info is present only when
users opt in, which is rare (typically 3-5% of tweets). I will also say
that obtaining the data once purchased is not easy--they come as GZIPped
JSON files packaged in 10-minute increments. So a year of data is far
too much to download manually--you'd need to automate your download
pipeline. I've written code to do this, so anyone who manages to
successfully buy Twitter data may feel free to contact me to access my
scripts.

Twitter also offers a couple other data purchase options, including its
Premium API
(https://developer.twitter.com/en/products/twitter-api/premium-apis) and
its Enterprise API
(https://developer.twitter.com/en/products/twitter-api/enterprise#/).
These charge pretty steep monthly fees and are oriented more toward
corporate and other well-funded clients.

Finally, here's their portal for academic researchers, which may have
some relevant info:
https://developer.twitter.com/en/solutions/academic-research/products-for-researchers

Best, /DEEN