[Air-L] Alternative to Amazon gift card for incentives

Liz Crocker lcrocker at bu.edu
Thu Aug 5 14:49:02 PDT 2021

We try to compensate participants for their time if possible since we're
asking them to do labor for us. It's true that incentives can bias who
responds but the ethics of compensation outweighed our concern about that.
Our challenge is that it needs to be something everyone can use
so in-person retail stores don't always work (ex: not everyone has a
WholeFoods nearby.) We also wanted something with a lot of options so that
it was truly useful to everyone (ex: not just Barnes and Noble.) Economics
studies suggest gift cards (or other tangible rewards that aren't just
cash) often motivate more in short-term scenarios than cash. That includes
VISA or MasterCard options so that's what we often used. Though like
someone else noted it does come with a processing fee. We've also done
Target gift cards, which have a decent online retail site.