[Air-L] Indigenous/First peoples and digital data/information

Lonny J Avi Brooks dr.brooks at gmail.com
Thu Mar 18 04:01:35 PDT 2021

Hi Geoff,

A few folx here below who may have more insight into your questions which I
share interest in as well. I'm Native too though unaffiliated (special
combo of Black Jewish and Native via Nueva Leon, Mexico, from tribes erased
via pandemic in the colonial period) and my research is in
Afrofuturism/Indigenous futurism. Would love to keep in touch with you
regarding these issues.

   - Jason Edward Lewis co-founded Aboriginal Territories in Cyberspace
   (AbTeC) to research and create media content and technology for enabling
   the participation of Indigenous communities in the building of our common
   future. AbTeC is based at Concordia University, where Lewis is an Associate
   Professor of Design and Computation Arts. His research studio, Obx Labs,
   explores how digital technology amplifies and mutates our expressive
   capabilities: great talk in general here:
      - The Future Imaginary
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwkyaUALKJc&t=69s

   - Laura Harjo, Associate Prof. at University of New Mexico in
   Architecture and Urban planning may have some additional insights into this
   topic. Her fantastic talk about indigenous futurism and Cree/Mvskoke here:
      - Spiral to the Stars: Mvskoke Tools of Futurity:
      https://youtu.be/Bn7Vcpr4UxQ

   - Also William Lempert Assistant Prof. Bowdoin College addresses issues
   of production and respect with regard to First Peoples’ filmic and VR
   indigenous future visions: useful site of resources and talk here as well:
   https://williamlempert.com/
      - Indigenous Cinemas and the Future:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qC-A08gvqIA