[Air-L] Open rank, tenure-track or tenured position in Critical Feminist Science and Technology Studies, Univ. of Illinois Chicago

Jones, Steve sjones at uic.edu
Tue Oct 19 14:49:46 PDT 2021

Open rank, tenure-track or tenured position in Critical Feminist Science and Technology Studies

The Program in Gender and Women’s Studies and the Department of Communication at the University of Illinois Chicago invite applications for an open rank, tenure-track or tenured position in Critical Feminist Science and Technology Studies subject to budgetary funding. The position is part of a cluster hire initiative focusing on Social Justice and Human Rights. We are looking for a scholar working at a nexus of Science and Technology Studies (STS) and intersectional feminism. Topics of scholarly inquiry might include but are not limited to: postcolonial critiques of scientific epistemologies and methodologies; decolonial analyses of gender, race, disability and biopolitics; indigenous knowledge production and technologies; digital feminism, new media abolitionist and materialist critiques; racialization of technological innovation especially in the context of reproductive and biometric information; race, sexuality and gaming; and a reimagining of the so-called digital divide through critical studies of informatics.

We seek candidates with an earned PhD in Gender and Women’s Studies, Ethnic Studies, Communication and/or any related field; strong promise of scholarly achievement and teaching success (at the undergraduate and graduate levels); good prospects for external research funding; and demonstrated commitment to multidisciplinary scholarship. We have a strong preference for applicants who can be appointed at the rank of Associate Professor or above. The appointment will be interdepartmental, with 50% in Gender and Women’s Studies and 50% in Communication.

UIC is a Carnegie Research Extensive University (Research I), the largest institution of higher education in the Chicago area, in the top 50 U.S. universities in federal research funding, and among the top 200 universities in the world. UIC is federally recognized as a Minority Serving Institution (MSI) through its status as an Asian American and Native American Pacific Islander Serving Institution (AANAPISI) and a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI), fully funded by the U.S. Department of Education. The tenure-line faculty in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences are represented by UIC United Faculty Local 6456, IFT-AFT, AAUP (UICUF) and covered by the terms of UIC's collective bargaining agreement with UICUF.

The desired appointment date for the position is August 16, 2022. Interested parties should submit an online application at https://jobs.uic.edu/job-board. Please click on the Job Board link, find our position and upload: 1) a letter of interest, 2) a full curriculum vitae, 3) one relevant scholarly publication, 4) evidence of teaching effectiveness, and 5) names of and contact information for three references.

For full consideration please apply by November 15, 2021.

The University of Illinois at Chicago is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer that has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity and is particularly interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of people. We do not discriminate on the basis of sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. The University of Illinois may conduct background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act. The University of Illinois System requires candidates selected for hire to disclose any documented finding of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment and to authorize inquiries to current and former employers regarding findings of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment. For more information, see the HR website.

Duties:
Teach at the undergraduate and graduate levels, advise students, perform research in areas of experise, participate in the intellectual lives of the department(s), and provide service to the university.

Qualifications:
We seek candidates with an earned PhD in Gender and Women’s Studies, Ethnic Studies, and/or Communications; strong promise of scholarly achievement and teaching success (at the undergraduate and graduate levels); good prospects for external research funding; and demonstrated commitment to multidisciplinary scholarship. We have a strong preference for applicants who can be appointed at the rank of Associate Professor or above. The appointment will be interdepartmental, with 50% in Gender and Women’s Studies and 50% in Communication.