[Air-L] CFP CONSOLE-ING PASSIONS

Erika M Heredia herediaerikam at gmail.com
Tue Sep 14 08:03:02 PDT 2021

CFP

*CONSOLE-ING PASSIONS*

*International Conference on Television, Video, Audio, New Media, and
Feminism*

*June 23-25, 2022*

*University of Central Florida*

*Orlando, FL*

Console-ing Passions was founded in 1989 by a group of feminist media
scholars and artists looking to create a space to present work and foster
scholarship on issues of television, culture, and identity, with an
emphasis on gender and sexuality. The first Console-ing Passions conference
was held at the University of Iowa in 1992. Since then, Console-ing
Passions has expanded to become not only the most important conference for
scholars studying gender in television but also among the top conferences
for scholars of media generally.

 The 2022 Conference Organizing Committee invites proposals for individual
papers, pre-constituted panels, and pre-constituted roundtables that
consider television, video, audio, or new media through an intersectional
lens including gender, sexuality, race, and/or other systems of inequality.
We also welcome proposals for video, audio, or new media creative works
related to intersectional approaches to modes of identity.

This year’s theme is “Reinvention.” We see this theme as an opportunity for
reflection on the influence of the pandemic on both media industries and
our own media scholarship, but also as a call to consider the role of a
feminist lens in pushing for reimaginings of our institutional structures
and inequities. Submissions might also consider the ongoing process of
“Reinvention” in the media landscape, from the ubiquitous reboots and
revivals to the restructuring of industries.

As we return to in-person conferencing, we are cognizant of questions of
access, equity, and impact associated with convening in physical space. To
support this process of reflection and reimagining, CP 2022 will be a
hybrid event, with opportunities for virtual participation as noted in the
CFP below.

*Submission Guidelines:*

The deadline for submissions is 11:59 PM (US Eastern Daylight Time) on *Friday,
October 1, 2021.*

*Submit here: *
https://stars.library.ucf.edu/cgi/ir_submit.cgi?context=cp2022
<https://stars.library.ucf.edu/cgi/ir_submit.cgi?context=cp2022>

*Proposal Guidelines:*

Participants may submit: one paper *or* creative project, and one
roundtable.

*Individual Papers:* Individuals submitting paper proposals should provide
an abstract of 250 words, a short bio, and contact information. Co-authored
papers are acceptable.

*Panels:* Panel coordinators should submit a 250-word rationale for the
pre-constituted panel as a whole and a 250-word abstract, a short bio, and
contact information for each panel participant. Panels should include 3-4
papers. Co-authored papers are acceptable. Panels that include a diversity
of panelist affiliations and experience levels are strongly encouraged.

*Roundtables: *Pre-constituted roundtables should focus either on scholarly
topics in the field or matters of professional interest. We are especially
interested in roundtables that are likely to engage wide participation by
conference attendees and which reflect our field’s diversity of cultural
identities, institutions, methodologies, and professional rank or
employment status. Proposals should be submitted by a convener, who will
propose a question (<100 words) and solicit brief (<250 words) responses
from 5-7 respondents. Proposals should also include a brief bio and contact
information for the convener and each participant.

*Creative Works:* We invite proposals for video, audio, or new media
screenings or exhibits. Each proposal should consist of a 350-word abstract
(including the length and format of the work), a short bio of the
producer/director, and contact information. If the work is viewable online,
please submit a URL.

All proposals should be tagged as either “Virtual” or “In-Person.”
Submissions themselves should not be hybrid (that is, a roundtable must be
in either one category or the other).

Please direct any questions about the conference and/or the submission
process to the conference organizers: mel.stanfill at ucf.edu and
anastasia at ucf.edu.

Follow updates on Twitter using our hashtag: *#CPOrlando *and visit the
conference website for updates about events, schedules, travel information,
and more: https://cp2022.cah.ucf.edu/

Please help to circulate this announcement among your networks or any

interested parties.

Regards,

Erika M Heredia
Texts and Technology PhD