[Air-L] Twitter Journalist Suspensions

Dr. Emma Briant teflpolsoc at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 23:27:11 PST 2022

Worth noting that it’s not only journalists getting arbitrary actions from
Twitter for criticising Musk. It’s also impacting academia. I am apparently
shadowbanned
https://twitter.com/emmalbriant/status/1604011822751059969?s=46&t=wwZHCFZGe6_KItBerRht-Q
and it’s not like I’ve shared any location tracking or anything like that.
People are becoming cautious about what they can say and this will have a
silencing effect.
It’s worth abandoning any notion that one can raise one’s individual voice
on the platform to criticise Twitter without response. It would need
collective action of some kind as Sarah observed.
Emma

On Fri, 16 Dec 2022 at 14:13, Samuel DiBella via Air-L <
air-l at listserv.aoir.org> wrote:

> I wanted to add that it's not just accounts of individuals/individual
> journalists that are getting banned. The anti-capitalist news site /It's
> Going Down/ has also had its account suspended.
>
> —S
>
> On 12/16/22 9:31 AM, Joseph Reagle via Air-L wrote:
> > The purported rationale is that a (big) Mastodon instance now hosts
> > ElonJet.
> >
> > https://ohai.social/@elonjet@mastodon.social
> >
> > The issue of linking to potentially harmful or illegal content is a
> > genuine one for moderation policy (e.g., Wikipedia linking to
> > critical/stalker forums) and the law (e.g., search engines linking to
> > pirate websites).
> > But the thinness of this rationale is belied by the fact that ElonJet
> > also exists on FB, and Musk hasn't banned all FB links. This excuse is
> > as fragile as Musk's ego -- who threatened Cooley LLP that he'd yank
> > Tesla's business if they didn't fire a recent hire who had *merely*
> > worked at the SEC.
> >
> > —Joseph
> >
> > On 12/16/22 08:58, Vivian Gerrand via Air-L wrote:
> >> Also interesting that he would bother. An indication of how much Musk
> >> feels threatened by the migration of Twitter users to Mastodon? Or
> >> (more likely) simply staking his claim as a warrior in a culture war?

> > http://www.aoir.org/

Dr Emma L Briant

Owner: Maven of Persuasion LLC
Fellow at Central European University's Center for Media, Data and Society
Associate at University of Cambridge, Center for Financial Reporting &
Accountability
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/emmalbriant
Website: www.emma-briant.co.uk

Author of: *Propaganda and Counter-Terrorism: Strategies for Global
Change *from
Manchester University Press
Co-Author of: *Bad News for Refugees* with Prof. Greg Philo and Dr. Pauline
Donald from Pluto Press.
Sign up for my Newsletter
<http://emma-briant.co.uk/sign-up-for-important-updates/>!
Follow me on Twitter @emmalbriant

"I thought yesterday was the first day of the rest of my life but it turns
out today is." - Steve Martin