[Air-L] Data analysis shows power of Facebook super-users to distort discourse

Alexandre A. Gonzales aarnsgonzales at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 15:33:47 PST 2022

It is a very good article about Facebook (or Meta) indeed, and it reminded
me of the initiative from the Center for Internet and Society of India,
that submitted a policy consultation to the Facebook Oversight Board
regarding their "X-Check" system, or whitelisted accounts on the platform.
I do not know if the "superusers" analyzed in the The Atlantich article are
in the X-Check system, but its findings may help better understand the
function of the "X-Check" for the company

To whom it may interest, here's the link to the submission presented to the
Oversight Board:
https://cis-india.org/internet-governance/blog/submission-to-the-facebook-oversight-board-policy-on-cross-checks

Em qui., 10 de fev. de 2022 às 15:19, Sarah Ann Oates <soates at umd.edu>
escreveu:

> Wow, if you read or teach one article about FB, this should be it I think.
> Sarah
> Sarah Oates
> Pronoun: she/her
>
> Professor and Senior Scholar
> Philip Merrill College of Journalism
> Distinguished Scholar-Teacher
> University of Maryland
> College Park, MD 20742
> Email: soates at umd.edu
> Phone: 301 455 2332
> www.media-politics.com
> Twitter: @media_politics
>
> *Support the UMD Student Crisis Fund
> <https://giving.umd.edu/giving/showPage.php?name=crisis-funding> today. *
>

> On Thu, Feb 10, 2022 at 1:15 PM Colin Delany <cpd at epolitics.com> wrote:
>
> > Makes perfect sense, based on what we know about the Fb algorithm. The
> > researchers have studied the patterns/effects in detail, and you might be
> > interested in both the findings and the methodology.
> >
> > "And because Facebook’s algorithm rewards engagement, these superusers
> > have enormous influence over which posts are seen first in other users’
> > feeds, and which are never seen at all. Even more shocking is just how
> > nasty most of these hyper-influential users are. The most abusive people
> on
> > Facebook, it turns out, are given the most power to shape what Facebook
> is."
> >

> https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2022/02/facebook-hate-speech-misinformation-superusers/621617
> >
> > --cpd
> >

> > "How to Use the Internet to Change the World - and Win Elections: A
> > Comprehensive Guide to Digital Politics for Campaigns, Activists &
> > Advocates" [Ebook]
> > http://www.epolitics.com/winning
> >
> > Colin Delany
> > Epolitics.com -- digital strategy for politics and advocacy
> > http://www.epolitics.com
> > 202-422-4682
> > cpd at epolitics.com
> > @epolitics

> > http://www.aoir.org/

*Alexandre Arns Gonzales*Doutorando em Ciência Política (UnB/2017) -
Resocie - https://www.resocie.org/
Bolsista/CAPES - Instituto da Democracia e Democratização das Comunicações