[Air-L] Data analysis shows power of Facebook super-users to distort discourse

Adam Burke adamburkemail at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 15:57:33 PST 2022

It's a good insight and this definitely seems consistent with dynamics on
Facebook in general, or, indeed, with the sewer my Facebook feed quickly
turns into if I don't ruthlessly focus it on personal friends and local
community groups.

As a researcher outside this specific communications / platforms / hate
speech area, I am curious about one methodological thing.

"""
For more than a year, we’ve been analyzing a massive new data set that we
designed to study public behavior on the 500 U.S. Facebook pages that get
the most engagement from users. Our research, part of which will be
submitted for peer review later this year, aims to better understand the
people who spread hate and misinformation on Facebook.
"""

It seems an unusual choice to go to a big mainstream news publication as
the first public outing of this analysis? I understand publication lead
times can be long, but since a great deal of detailed work has clearly been
done already, which the researchers have great confidence in, I'm surprised
there isn't any pre-print or public report made available. A parallel
release might also have made sense. There's lots of examples of this in
other fields, but a recent one is the speed at which COVID research was
able to proceed due to pre-print papers.

Lack of a public research artifact also seems to make their research too
easy for Facebook to dismiss:
"""
Facebook declined to answer our questions for this article, and instead
provided this statement: “While we’re not able to comment on research we
haven’t seen, the small parts that have been shared with us are inaccurate
and seem to fundamentally misunderstand how News Feed works. [...] "
"""

Since there are many experienced researchers on the list, it would be great
if someone could take the time to explain.

Cheers
Adam Burke