[Air-L] Digital health and rights of young adults in Ghana, Kenya and Vietnam

Sara Leila Margaret Davis sara.davis at graduateinstitute.ch
Thu Nov 17 02:23:52 PST 2022

Hello colleagues,

I'm pleased to share our new report, policy brief and letter to Dr. Tedros,
director of the World Health Organization, based on findings from our
18-month transnational participatory action research study in Ghana, Kenya
and Vietnam into how young adults use mobile phones to get health
information and support, and what they see as the impact of digitization on
their human rights.

The participatory approach, drawing on national and global civil society
networks and networks of people living with HIV, enabled us to get rich
data and already begin using it to influence policies.

   - The research report is here
   <https://www.graduateinstitute.ch/sites/internet/files/2022-11/2022_11_DHRP_research_report_final.pdf>
   - Policy brief from civil society in our consortium, based on the
   findings, is in English
   <https://stopaids.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2022/11/Copy-of-Towards-Digital-Justice-1.pdf>
   and in Spanish
   <https://stopaids.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2022/11/Towards-Digital-Justice-briefingSPANISH-1.pdf>
   - Here is the letter
   <https://stopaids.org.uk/2022/11/15/who-urged-to-take-action-on-social-media-companies-to-protect-young-peoples-health-among-other-ngo-calls/>
   WHO

We will be discussing the findings with researchers, social media health
champions, and WHO at a public webinar on Tuesday, 22 November from 14:00 -
15:30 CEST. The recording will be available a week later. The link to
register is here
<https://www.graduateinstitute.ch/communications/events/digital-justice-how-social-media-transforming-young-peoples-health-and-rights>
.

If anyone is interested in doing a similar study, we are happy to share the
research protocols and tools, as well as our experience. Next year, our
project consortium and I will relocate to University of Warwick, where we
plan to create an online repository on participatory research for digital
governance and digital literacy & rights training. More on the consortium
here <https://www.graduateinstitute.ch/DigitalHealth-Rights>.

Thanks and best
Meg
--
*Sara ("Meg") Davis, Ph.D.*
*Senior researcher,* Digital Health and Rights Project

*Books:*
*The Uncounted: Politics of Data in Global Health*
<https://www.cambridge.org/core/books/uncounted/C0CC81C0F03D1822D05C13EE31FA0957#fndtn-metrics>
*Song and Silence: Ethnic Revival on China's Southwest Borders
<http://cup.columbia.edu/book/song-and-silence/9780231135269>*

*Ted talk:*
The Uncounted: The people left out of health data
https://www.ted.com/talks/sara_meg_davis_the_uncounted_the_people_left_out_of_health_data