[Air-L] AoIR Panel on Gender & Misinformation

Rossella Rega rossella.rega at gmail.com
Sat Feb 18 09:37:33 PST 2023

Dear Yvonne,

Thank  you  for this interesting proposal.
I am very keen on the topic you have suggested. I am currently working on a
case study concerning the return to Italy of Silvia Romano (who had been
kidnapped in 2018 by the Islamic group Al Shabaab in Kenya, where she was
working as a volunteer in a rural village) who was the target of multiple
forms of incivility on Twitter and Facebook.
The uncivil attacks have been of different types, but mainly linked to the
use of information distortions. Silvia Romano has become a target of hatred
on three main levels: as a woman, as a Muslim and as an agency volunteer.
The case is interesting because it highlights a reconfiguration of
Islamophobia associated with specific forms of misogyny (stigmatisation of
the woman/victim) and criminalisation of humanitarian activity (this is why
we can talk about 'intersectional incivility').

Let me know what you think about this case, in any case I will be happy to
answer if you have further questions.

best wishes
Rossella