[Air-L] Degraded and/or Dying Twitter APIs

Shulman, Stu stu at texifter.com
Thu Jan 26 00:19:23 PST 2023

Update: the web downloader is still gone and if I had to guess, forever.
This was just a GUI in front of an API that does appear to be functioning.
I think the people who built and maintained the web front end are no longer
part of the scaled back Twitter staff. However, somebody is maintaining the
API operation and Twitter still gives out elevated access to some API
endpoints. For example, we asked for and received elevated API access
specifically to offer a new application to academics and it was approved in
three days. Watch this list for an imminent announcement about a new beta
service that was actually designed and built in 2019 to detect bots and is
just now getting to see the full light of day. The last step is to put it
behind a GUI and TrustDefender will launch. I was more than a little
surprised Twitter approved it, given what it shows about amplification
actors and actions in the ecosystem. Spoiler alert, many of the strangest
and least explained event timelines on Twitter are humans not machines.
Trust but verify.

--
Dr. Stuart W. Shulman
Founder and CEO, Texifter