[Air-L] Call for Registration/Program Announcement Workshop on Algorithmic Injustice 26&27 June 2023

Marjolein Lanzing m.lanzing at uva.nl
Mon Jun 5 06:47:05 PDT 2023

Call for Registration: workshop on algorithmic injustice
University of Amsterdam, 26.6 & 27.6 2023
Conference website: https://events.illc.uva.nl/Workshops/AlgorithmicInjustice/Conference/
Artificial intelligence applications play an increasingly important role in our daily life. But these technological advances come with serious societal risks. For instance, in recent years we have seen many cases of machine learning applications that show unfair biased behavior towards particular groups or individuals. This led to growing concerns about harmful discrimination and reproduction of structural inequalities once these technologies become institutionalized in society.
As result a lot of energy is currently invested in identifying and resolving algorithmic discrimination. However, in AI research and policy, the remedies against algorithmic discrimination are often narrowly framed as design problems, rather than complex, structural, social-political problems. This carries the risk of a highly technocentric, individualist approach to algorithmic discrimination.
In this workshop we bring together researchers from various disciplines who work on the societal impact of AI applications. Throughout the two days, they will present their work. The goal is to share ideas, best practices and discuss how harmful behavior of AI applications should be approached. For our two keynote speakers, see below.
On Monday we organize a scientific panel discussion on the role of researchers in the debate on algorithmic fairness. Confirmed speakers include Prof. Dr. Sennay Ghebreab (Civic AI Lab, University of Amsterdam); Jenneke Evers (eLaw, Leiden University); Agathe Balayn (Computer Science, TU Delft) and Dr. Winnie Ma (Philosophy, Kings College London).
We close the workshop with a public event on Algorithmic Injustice at Spui25 on Tuesday 27th at 20.00. Our speakers are: Su Lin Blodgett, who has been working on AI and fairness, Erin Beeghly, who studies the wrong of stereotypes, legal scholar Naomi Appelman who sued the VU University for its online proctoring software and documentary maker Nirit Peled, who documented people who suffered the consequences of unfair police algorithms. Together, they will explore pressing matters around algorithmic injustice.
Confirmed Keynotes
Dr. Su Lin Blodgett is senior researcher in the Fairness, Accountability, Transparency, and Ethics in AI (FATE) group at Microsoft Research Montréal.
Dr. Erin Beeghly is Associate Professor of Philosophy at the University of Utah. Her research interests lie at the intersection of ethics, social epistemology, feminist philosophy, and moral psychology.
Program
For the full program: https://events.illc.uva.nl/Workshops/AlgorithmicInjustice/Programme/
Registration
If you are interested in attending this workshop, please register at:
https://events.illc.uva.nl/Workshops/AlgorithmicInjustice/Registration/
If you are interested in attending the public event at Spui25, please register at:
https://spui25.nl/programma/algorithmic-injustice