[Air-L] New Report: Digital Misinformation in 9 election cycles in Asia

Nishant Shah itsnishant at gmail.com
Thu Jun 20 04:12:59 PDT 2024

Dear All,
I am very thrilled to share with you that our work  (Anushree Majumdar and
I) with the Upgrade Democracy
<https://www.bertelsmann-stiftung.de/en/our-projects/upgrade-democracy>project,
looking at digital disinformation in 9 major election cycles in Asia, post
the COVID19 pandemic management shifts in the region, has resulted into a
new report titled The Making of Misinformation Choice.
<https://www.bertelsmann-stiftung.de/en/publications/publication/did/the-making-of-misinformed-choice-die-wirkung-digitaler-technologien-in-wahlkaempfen-einblicke-aus-neun-laendern-asiens?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR2x5A_mlihl7JrjnTPrwSRaJejsHcxJVSUBq3pwMq3p_eSxoz1Y5Uzmcds_aem_ZmFrZWR1bW15MTZieXRlcw>

The report builds on critical policy and literature review, extensive
interviews with fact-checkers, disinformation debunking activists, and
civil society organisations in 9 regions and countries, to think about the
ways in which new information regimes are established that persuade and
convince people to make misinformed choices in electoral actions.

The report produces a new framework of digital misinformation as a stack,
looks at the ways in which information contamination and manipulation
happens, examines the difficulties in doing fact-checking as individual
actors, and looks at the best practices and counter-measures that are being
tried and developed across the region.

The report was a collaboration between The Digital Narratives Studio
<https://digitalnarratives.com.cuhk.edu.hk/> and The Digital Asia Hub,
<https://www.digitalasiahub.org/> with strong support from fellow BKCer
Malavika Jayaram, who facilitated the project, and with generous support
and resources by Cathleen Berger  <https://cathleenberger.com/about/>(another
BKC community node) from the Bertelsmann Stiftung.

We hope that you enjoy reading the report and that it helps add to the
critical discourse in the field. We would, of course, always be thrilled to
have more conversations and connections on this.

Warm regards,
NIshant

--
Dr. Nishant Shah (Ph.D.)
Assoc. Professor, Global Media, Chinese University of Hong Kong