[Assam] PC Ram found dead

Ram Sarangapani assamrs at gmail.com
Sun Jul 1 08:40:25 PDT 2007

C'da

>But WHO determines who should be given that label of 'terrorist' or
'>criminal'?

Unfortunately, it is the country that the terrorists are dealing with.

>Is it an ABSOLUTE standard, or is it something that varies, depending on
>the convenience of those who apply that label?

It is entirely up to the country, and of course it is a matter of
convenience.  If terrorists can choose their sweet time when to act as
terrorists or when to act as regular citizens, why can't country do so?

>Ronald Reagan declared the former Soviet Union the Evil Empire.....

I know, C'da... these look like grand flip-flops. But terrorists ought to
know by now that countries do that.  One way may be to get off that list is
to play ball.

>I think you fail to understand what serious repercussion such incidents can
invite to Assamese people living in other Hindi speaking states of India.
Imagine an Assamese student/family being assaulted, killed in Gaziabad. Who
do you think will come to protect them?

>*** First of all, let us assume  for a moment that the news that you posted
>is accurate.

First of all, I did NOT write the above. JS did - so I will let him answer
you .

But, I would like weigh in a bit here.

Is the "NEWS" true or false? The AT also had a report. But then that too is
a rag (at least by your standards).

Should one wait for the ULFA to decide whether they should say  "yes" or
"no"?
I guess we should - get the truth from the horses mouth, so to speak. :)

Now, on the other part - about Assamese being in danger in other parts of
the country.
IMHO, they are NOT and will NOT be. But then I will have to leave it people
who actually live in these other parts of India.

I think, one will find, that in other cities - usually the big cities or the
metros, no one has time nor the inclination to form a posse to hunt down
Assamese here and there. But have heard Biharis attacking people from the NE
in trains.

>Most of all, if India is a civilized nation with a rule of laws, why should
the >Assamese living in Hindi speaking states be afraid?

For the most part, most Indians (as I stated earlier) will not go about
hunting other Indians (read Assamese here) because of this killing or
another.

But you, on the other hand, are free to condemn all Indians, their
democracy, their history and even their civilization if one army man goes
haywire.

 >Why I ask is that this particular rag has a track record of publishing
rumors >as facts. I will await further info. on it before *I* make my
judgement.

Hehe! I knew that - That is WHY, I took care only to mention Terrorists and
NOT any particular group. I am waiting for the "official" word.

 I am not sure why you are so sensitive...... "baator kosu ..............."
:) :)

*My discussion was entirely on whether countries should keep an option open
for talks with those who they label as "terrorists".*

IMHO, as long as the label sticks (and it is convenient for them :)),
countries ought to take a stand and not negotiate. That actually may be a
good solution for many countries, including India.

BTW: both China/Russia are ruthless when dealing with their terrorists, and
there is NOT a Peep from any one!

--Ram