[Air-l] I'm researching virality in social networks - suggested papers?

John Veitch jsveitch at ate.co.nz
Tue May 1 14:32:30 PDT 2007

George Floros wrote:
> John Veitch said
>> AC Nielsen report  "In most online communities, 90% of users are lurkers
>> who never contribute, 9% of users contribute a little, and 1% of users
>> account for almost all the action".

Hello George

First of all an apology, on checking I find the source is Jakob Nielsen
not AC Nielsen.

It's one of his Allertbox Reports on useit.com
http://www.useit.com/alertbox/participation_inequality.html
Here is the full  text.

"Participation Inequality: Encouraging More Users to Contribute
contribute, 9% of users contribute a little, and 1% of users account for
almost all the action.

All large-scale, multi-user communities and online social networks that
rely on users to contribute content or build services share one
property: most users don't participate very much. Often, they simply
lurk in the background.

In contrast, a tiny minority of users usually accounts for a
disproportionately large amount of the content and other system
activity. This phenomenon of participation inequality was first studied
in depth by Will Hill in the early '90s, when he worked down the hall
from me at Bell Communications Research (see references below).

When you plot the amount of activity for each user, the result is a Zipf
curve, which shows as a straight line in a log-log diagram.

User participation often more or less follows a 90-9-1 rule:

     * 90% of users are lurkers (i.e., read or observe, but don't
contribute).
     * 9% of users contribute from time to time, but other priorities
dominate their time.
     * 1% of users participate a lot and account for most contributions:
it can seem as if they don't have lives because they often post just
minutes after whatever event they're commenting on occurs.

Early Inequality Research
Before the Web, researchers documented participation inequality in media
such as Usenet newsgroups, CompuServe bulletin boards, Internet mailing
lists, and internal discussion boards in big companies. A study of more
than 2 million messages on Usenet found that 27% of the postings were
from people who posted only a single message. Conversely, the most
active 3% of posters contributed 25% of the messages.

In Whittaker et al.'s Usenet study, a randomly selected posting was
equally likely to come from one of the 580,000 low-frequency
contributors or one of the 19,000 high-frequency contributors.
Obviously, if you want to assess the "feelings of the community" it's
highly unfair if one subgroup's 19,000 members have the same
representation as another subgroup's 580,000 members. More importantly,
such inequities would give you a biased understanding of the community,
because many differences almost certainly exist between people who post
a lot and those who post a little. And you would never hear from the
silent majority of lurkers.

Inequality on the Web
There are about 1.1 billion Internet users, yet only 55 million users
(5%) have weblogs according to Technorati. Worse, there are only 1.6
million postings per day; because some people post multiple times per
day, only 0.1% of users post daily.

Blogs have even worse participation inequality than is evident in the
90-9-1 rule that characterizes most online communities. With blogs, the
rule is more like 95-5-0.1.

Inequalities are also found on Wikipedia, where more than 99% of users
are lurkers. According to Wikipedia's "about" page, it has only 68,000
active contributors, which is 0.2% of the 32 million unique visitors it
has in the U.S. alone.

Wikipedia's most active 1,000 people -- 0.003% of its users --
contribute about two-thirds of the site's edits. Wikipedia is thus even
more skewed than blogs, with a 99.8-0.2-0.003 rule.

Participation inequality exists in many places on the Web. A quick
glance at Amazon.com, for example, showed that the site had sold
thousands of copies of a book that had only 12 reviews, meaning that
less than 1% of customers contribute reviews.

Furthermore, at the time I wrote this, 167,113 of Amazon’s book reviews
were contributed by just a few "top-100" reviewers; the most prolific
reviewer had written 12,423 reviews. How anybody can write that many
reviews -- let alone read that many books -- is beyond me, but it's a
classic example of participation inequality.

Downsides of Participation Inequality
Participation inequality is not necessarily unfair because "some users
are more equal than others" to misquote Animal Farm. If lurkers want to
contribute, they are usually allowed to do so.

The problem is that the overall system is not representative of Web
users. On any given user-participation site, you almost always hear from
the same 1% of users, who almost certainly differ from the 90% you never
hear from. This can cause trouble for several reasons:

     * Customer feedback. If your company looks to Web postings for
customer feedback on its products and services, you're getting an
unrepresentative sample.
     * Reviews. Similarly, if you're a consumer trying to find out which
restaurant to patronize or what books to buy, online reviews represent
only a tiny minority of the people who have experiences with those
products and services.
     * Politics. If a party nominates a candidate supported by the
"netroots," it will almost certainly lose because such candidates'
positions will be too extreme to appeal to mainstream voters. Postings
on political blogs come from less than 0.1% of voters, most of whom are
hardcore leftists (for Democrats) or rightists (for Republicans).
     * Search. Search engine results pages (SERP) are mainly sorted
based on how many other sites link to each destination. When 0.1% of
users do most of the linking, we risk having search relevance get ever
more out of whack with what's useful for the remaining 99.9% of users.
Search engines need to rely more on behavioral data gathered across
samples that better represent users, which is why they are building
Internet access services.
     * Signal-to-noise ratio. Discussion groups drown in flames and
low-quality postings, making it hard to identify the gems. Many users
stop reading comments because they don't have time to wade through the
swamp of postings from people with little to say.

How to Overcome Participation Inequality
You can't.
The first step to dealing with participation inequality is to recognize
that it will always be with us. It's existed in every online community
and multi-user service that has ever been studied.

Your only real choice here is in how you shape the inequality curve's
angle. Are you going to have the "usual" 90-9-1 distribution, or the
more radical 99-1-0.1 distribution common in some social websites? Can
you achieve a more equitable distribution of, say, 80-16-4? (That is,
only 80% lurkers, with 16% contributing some and 4% contributing the most.)

Although participation will always be somewhat unequal, there are ways
to better equalize it, including:

     * Make it easier to contribute. The lower the overhead, the more
people will jump through the hoop. For example, Netflix lets users rate
movies by clicking a star rating, which is much easier than writing a
natural-language review.
     * Make participation a side effect. Even better, let users
participate with zero effort by making their contributions a side effect
of something else they're doing. For example, Amazon's "people who
bought this book, bought these other books" recommendations are a side
effect of people buying books. You don't have to do anything special to
have your book preferences entered into the system. Will Hill coined the
term read wear for this type of effect: the simple activity of reading
(or using) something will "wear" it down and thus leave its marks --
just like a cookbook will automatically fall open to the recipe you
prepare the most.
     * Edit, don't create. Let users build their contributions by
modifying existing templates rather than creating complete entities from
scratch. Editing a template is more enticing and has a gentler learning
curve than facing the horror of a blank page. In avatar-based systems
like Second Life, for example, most users modify standard-issue avatars
rather than create their own.
     * Reward -- but don't over-reward -- participants. Rewarding people
for contributing will help motivate users who have lives outside the
Internet, and thus will broaden your participant base. Although money is
always good, you can also give contributors preferential treatment (such
as discounts or advance notice of new stuff), or even just put gold
stars on their profiles. But don't give too much to the most active
participants, or you'll simply encourage them to dominate the system
even more.
     * Promote quality contributors. If you display all contributions
equally, then people who post only when they have something important to
say will be drowned out by the torrent of material from the hyperactive
1%. Instead, give extra prominence to good contributions and to
contributions from people who've proven their value, as indicated by
their reputation ranking.

Your website's design undoubtedly influences participation inequality
for better or worse. Being aware of the problem is the first step to
alleviating it, and finding ways to broaden participation will become
even more important as the Web's social networking services continue to
grow.

Learn More
Full day tutorial on what designers can learn from social psychology at
the User Experience 2006 conference in Seattle and London.