[Air-L] Thoughts on IRB and identity of researcher.

Rhiannon Bury rcbury at rogers.com
Sun Apr 18 10:58:24 PDT 2010

Hi Peter

Good questions!  One thing you could do is set up some kind of relationship with your former university. I know at the time I completed my PhD at OISE/UT, other recent graduates became visiting scholars. This involved no funding of course that they could maintain their association with the university, have a business card, and I presume, get any research involving participants reviewed by the REB (IRB).

Your idea to find a co-author with a university affiliation is also a good idea.

Finally, you CAN do research as an independent scholar and as such, there is no generic REB, at least not in Canada. However, you will should actively secure consent using the same kind of letters of information and consent forms as if you had university affiliation. Protocols for social science research differ from medical research.

I sit on the REB at Athabasca University so email me privately at my AU addie below if you have more questions or want more information.

best

Rhiannon Bury
Assistant Professor,Women's Studies
Athabasca University